Due to the increasing number of new Covid-19 cases in Australia, New Zealand has announced to suspend all travel bubbles with Australia for two months.
Previously, New Zealand stopped the travel bubble with three Australian states, including New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia. However, the new suspension will apply to the whole country and took effect from July 23.
The New Zealand government said: “We’ve always said that our response would evolve as the virus evolved. This is not a decision we have taken lightly, but it is the right decision to keep New Zealanders safe.”
The suspension of the travel bubble will give Australia “time to manage the current outbreaks”, and New Zealand will also be able to monitor the situation and assess travel developments in other countries.
The New Zealand government said it “remains committed” to resuming the tourism bubble with Australia in the future.
On July 23, New South Wales reported 136 new infections, the highest number of daily infections since the beginning of the outbreak in mid-June. Victoria recorded 14 new cases. South Australia also recorded two new infections on July 22.